AN INTRODUCTION TO URINARY INCONTINENCE:
There are chances that Urinary Incontinence (UI) more often than not, will leave a very prominent impact on the quality of one’s life (this makes up the general well – being or feel – good factor of an individual)! But, individuals suffering from Urinary Incontinence (UI) need not worry as there are ways to curb this medical complication.
VARIOUS TYPES OF URINARY INCONTINENCE:
Urinary Incontinence (UI) comprises of numerous types. Certain information mentioned below will be of great help in making you more aware of the problem. But if you still have any unanswered queries, your healthcare professional will be the best person to help you sort out your difficulties.
- Stress Incontinence:
This type is also known as effort incontinence. Stress incontinence occurs as a result of insufficient strength of the pelvic floor muscles.
- Urge Incontinence:
This type of incontinence occurs due to the sudden and involuntary loss of urine. However, there is no apparent reason why this suddenly occurs.
- Transient Incontinence
This type of incontinence occurs when the individual concerned realizes the need to urinate, but cannot make it to the bathroom in time due to lack of mobility.
- Overflow Incontinence:
This type of incontinence is when the bladder involuntarily keeps on dribbling or even continues to dribble after the individual has finished passing urine. It feels like the bladder keeps overflowing and hence the name!
- Mixed Incontinence:
This is a very common syndrome amongst elderly patients and more so within the female population. There are chances that mixed incontinence may sometimes get more complicated with the additional combination of urinary retention. When this type of a situation occurs, the patient may require staged multimodal treatment.
- Structural Incontinence:
Sometimes, structural complications can lead to structural incontinence. Your healthcare professional can usually diagnose these structural complications in your childhood. An example of a structural complication is Ectopic ureter (a medical complication where the ureter instead of getting terminated at the urinary bladder, gets terminated at a different site).
- Transient Incontinence (II):
This particular types of incontinence is often triggered by the intake of certain medications, adrenal insufficiency, mental impairment, restricted mobility and even severe constipation (stool impaction).
VARIOUS CAUSES LEADING TO URINARY INCONTINENCE:
There are quite a few reasons that may increase the occurrence of incontinence. If you happen to be subject to any of these reasons mentioned below, speak with your healthcare professional as soon as is possible.
- An enlarged prostate
- Polyuria (excess quantities of urine produced). This medical complication occurs as a result of diabetes mellitus, primary polydipsia (drinking excess fluids), etc.
- Brain disorders, such as multiple sclerosis, a spinal cord injury, Parkinson’s disease, a stroke, etc. in some way or another can also interfere with the nerve functions of the bladder.
EFFECTIVE TREATMENTS ADOPTED FOR URINARY INCONTINENCE:
A few effective medications and various types of treatment options are available in the case of Urinary Incontinence (UI). But, it is advisable that you first consult your healthcare professional before you make up your mind to begin treatment. Make absolutely certain that no treatment or even medication (of any kind) is either adopted or taken without the consent of your healthcare professional.
Certain medications that may help you are :
Other treatment options:
- Conservative treatment
- Adult diapers
- Protective underwear
URINARY INCONTINENCE IN CHILDREN:
Controlling this activity in the case of children requires the combined effort and co – ordination of the brain, muscles, the spinal cord and nerves.
- Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy (BPH) must be diagnosed and treated as soon as possible!
- Take extra care as Honeymoon Cystitis is one of the most rapid methods of developing a bladder infection.
- Interstitial Cystitis affects the urinary bladder, but there are many good remedies to cure this complication!
- The onset of Acute Cystitis occurs extremely rapidly and hence extra care and precautions should be taken.
- Do not worry about being diagnosed with Cystitis, effective treatments are readily available!