Male baldness is getting increasingly common irrespective of age, with a stressful lifestyle and unhealthy eating habits contributing to this phenomenon. Hair being an important aspect of one’s personality, the slightest hint of hair fall tends to become a serious concern among men. There are a number of methods to control hair loss including hair oils, tablets and expensive surgical treatments such as hair weaving. But when it comes to actual hair regrowth there are very few products in the market which are effective, Propecia being one of them. It has worked wonders for many men who were not sure if Propecia can regrow hair. Here are some facts about hair re-growth and this FDA approved pill:
1. The scalp consists of a large number of hair follicles which promote hair growth. Due to various factors these follicles might be damaged but that doesn’t mean that they are dead and there is no possibility of hair regrowth. If treated at the onset of hair loss, there are definite chances of hair growth.
2. Propecia is a prescription medicine for male pattern baldness (thinning of hair) and is consumed orally in the form of tablets. It contains the active ingredient Finasteride that helps to block the formation of dihydrotestosterone (DHT). It basically starts as testosterone and stops the hair follicle from growing hair, shrinking the hair follicle. These follicles are able to regrow hair when they are not aggravated by DHT.
3. Propecia has proven most effective for men who experience hair loss on the crown of the scalp and for those in whom hair thinning is in the initial stages. However, there is no evidence if it works for receding hairlines. Propecia should not be used by women or children. The manufacturer, Merck has stated that this hair loss drug has been developed only for men.
4. A small percentage of men taking Propecia experienced some side effects which were sexual in nature like loss of interest in sex, abnormal ejaculation, trouble having an orgasm, etc. But once they stopped use, these symptoms disappeared. It is always safe to inform your doctor about any kind of medications, vitamin or herbal supplements that you have been taking before taking this drug.
5. For the period of time that you are actively taking Propecia, it will control hair loss and also stimulate hair regrowth. Finasteride will be able to inhibit formation of DHT only when hair loss treatment is going on. Once you stop use, it is possible that you might experience hair loss and the regrown hair in the last 12 months might fall out.
Propecia has helped a majority of men reduce the bald spots and improve their hair appearance. Though it can be a long term solution for men to prevent balding, it does not work for everyone. Since one has to continue using Propecia to stop hair loss and promote regrowth, it might not be a good option for some of them. Your doctor is the best person to decide whether it is beneficial or not.
Propecia is the first and only FDA approved drug which has been confirmed to deal with male pattern hair loss on the vertex of the head and the middle front. It contains Finasteride which prevents the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) by blocking the formation of DHT in the scalp. Propecia works by controlling hair loss and promotes regrowth of hair. It is meant only for men and should not be taken by women and children. Consult your doctor before you start using Propecia tablets.